Best known for founding Travelocity and serving as founding Chairman of Kayak.com, Terry Jones has become a powerful voice in the world of entrepreneurship through his numerous speaking engagements and the publication of his book, ON Innovation. His career path has established him as a thought leader on innovation in our increasingly digital world.
Jones, who began his career as a travel agent, spent 24 years at American Airlines, in marketing and information technology, capping his career as Chief Information Officer of its SABRE division. While at SABRE he led a team of six working on a project that became Travelocity.com. Jones served as CEO of Travelocity for seven years transforming it to a public company with three billion dollars in travel sales.
He left Travelocity when the company was taken private and became part of the founding team at Kayak.com, a company that yet again revolutionized how travel was purchased. He served as Chairman of the company from its founding until it was sold to Priceline for $1.8 billion dollars in 2013.
Today he is managing principal of ON Inc, a consultancy he founded to help companies in their transition to the digital economy. He serves of the boards of Boingo, Luxury Link, ReardenCommerce and Smart Destinations. He is a venture capitalist with General Catalyst Partners and Sierra Angels.
The holder of several patents. Jones is a graduate of Denison University and has an honors doctor of letters from Sierra Nevada College.
Most Requested Topics:
- Leadership In A Wired World : It's a new world out there...A world where 'the office' is anywhere and communication is constant; where the pace of change is staggering and the 'wired generation' is entering the work force. In this new world, how do you lead? The basic principles of good leadership haven't changed in hundreds of years; but, in this new world, how we APPLY them MUST change. Terry Jones has led both large corporations and small startup companies. As a CEO, a board member, and a consultant, his innovative leadership style has helped reshape the travel industry. In this program, he offers concise and actionable insights into how leadership is changing in this new technology -driven world.
- Innovation in a Corporate Environment : The story of the entrepreneur in the garage is well known. But how does one build a startup inside a huge corporation? How do you successfully innovate in large and sometimes bureaucratic organizations? Terry started Travelocity.com as a department inside the multi billion dollar Sabre Corporation. Starting with an idea and a team of ten he grew the department into a three billion dollar public company with over 35 million members and 1200 employees. Intrapreneurs face different challenges than entrepreneurs. Competitors are as likely to be internal as external. In this world who you report to can be as important to an intrapreneur as building a brand is to the entrepreneur. His story of how one navigates the corporate power structure to turn an idea into a company has applicability for anyone with a new product or a new idea.
- 21st Century Marketing : Today ecommerce is no longer a craze nor a bubble but a requirement for all businesses. Large companies and small are finding the right techniques to become true multi-channel marketers. The growth of on line search is forcing companies to compete at the product rather than the brand level and understanding how the 'wired generation' is going to shop and buy is key for tomorrow's winning companies. Jones, whose company remained profitable as the dot com bubble burst discusses the essential ideas that companies must apply for success in the wired world. He provides a clear vision of how the internet will continue to change the way products are marketed and sold.
- Customer Relationship Management in a Multi-Channel World: Terry learned early on that the internet added a new dimension to direct marketing and CRM. In the past, managing your customer required a combination of deep data mining with great marketing flair. The internet added the ability of pinpoint targeting at very low cost. Learn how Travelocity.com built a loyal customer base and found ways to target its member base and get the latest view of how to utilize customer information on the web and in all your customer contact points. Jones discusses the latest techniques for emarketing, the evolution of search, and how broadband is changing consumer behavior on line. It's a multi channel world today, with 35% of consumers shopping all channels (phone, web and store). Today's customers require seamless service in all channels, and companies who can provide that experience combined with deep knowledge of the customer will lead tomorrow's marketplace.
- The Business of Innovation : Growth. Every company has to have it. But in today's hyper competitive environment and difficult economy how do you get it? Terry Jones, master of innovation took a team of 10 and built a multi billion dollar enterprise based on an innovative idea that most of his colleagues thought would fail. Terry created a culture of innovation where new ideas were celebrated, mistakes became fast learning loops, and employees learned that anyone can innovate. Terry will take your audience through the steps to nurture new ideas and the organizational structures, funding policies and team members required for success. Many speakers talk about the future, Terry gives audiences step by step plans to create it.
- Building Digital Relationships with Your Customers: Online research will soon influence over $1 trillion in offline sales, yet many companies are still optimized to deal with customers only over the phone or in the store. Terry will show your audience the importance of adding digital relationships to your company's strategies. At companies such as Travelocity, Kayak.com, La Quinta Hotels and Earthlink, Terry has been involved in creating, leading and implementing CRM strategies that leverage the digital world. Terry will open the door to this new world with examples drawn from all types of online and offline companies. He discusses the latest techniques for emarketing, the evolution of search, and how broadband is changing consumer behavior online. Not just for consumer companies, these techniques are essential for the industrial buyer as well whose world is also being reshaped online. Participants will learn how to craft a multi-channel strategy to deal with tomorrow's marketplace.
- Entrepreneurship - Entrepreneur or Intrapreneur? : The story of the entrepreneur in the garage is well known. But how does one build a startup inside a huge corporation? How do you successfully innovate in large and sometimes bureaucratic organizations? Terry started Travelocity.com as a department inside the multi billion dollar Sabre Corporation. Starting with an idea and a team of ten he grew the department into a multi billion dollar public company with over 35 million members and 1200 employees. Intrapreneurs face different challenges than entrepreneurs. Competitors are as likely to be internal as external. In this world, who you report to can be as important to an intrapreneur as building a brand is to the entrepreneur. His story of how one navigates the corporate power structure to turn an idea into a company has applicability for anyone with a new product or a new idea.